Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 279 The Perfect Mom Project


This morning the house is quiet. Our three day Memorial weekend has begun, and our youngest daughter is on her camping adventure. It always amazes me how quiet the house is when one of the girls is gone. I remember when Ashleigh was born; I had decided that I would only have one child, an only child. I had been an only child and it worked out OK, so I thought "one is plenty" why have any more? Then I met Mark, and he was from a family with five children and he said "One is not enough, you need other children to round out your life and theirs, having siblings is fun." Considering I was an only child, I had to take his word for that, I also loved him and wanted to make him happy, and so we added two more children to our lives.

 
Now I cannot imagine my life being any different. When Ashleigh first left home and went to college we were astounded how different the house was without her here. It felt like something was missing all the time. Her enthusiasm and light were gone and we missed it. However when she came home from college, it was electric shock therapy trying to get her back into the new reality we had created for ourselves. We all had our own way of doing things and everyone had to give a little to make it work. With Avery gone, it reminds me of that time. Its quiet, there is a slice missing from our family pie and we miss it. I know this is just a taste of things to come.

 
As Aly enjoyed her bonfire with her friends last night, I realized how quickly time will pass and she will be heading off to college. She has her own life now separate from who we are and as exciting as it is to see, it also reminds me that it will not be long before our house is quiet and one child is left. She will not be an only, but she will be alone here at home with Mom and Dad. Avery will be living in the new reality created by another of our children being gone. This is our circle of life. I am thankful that I have had all three of my children. I am thankful that God lead me to a man that taught me that life is richer with children. I know that the time will come and my children will all be off living out their own lives, but I also know from watching my oldest daughter that there is sweetness in the success that your child has in their own life.

 
All this comes to my mind, because my house is a little quieter. It is a bittersweet quiet; that brings with it the reminder to enjoy my children while they are with me. It is also a quiet that reminds me that each one of my children is precious and when one of them leaves here they leave with a little slice of the family pie. I just hope they savor every bite as much as I have.

No comments: