Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 268 The Perfect Mom Project


Well this week continues the Aunt Nina saga. Apparently the card party that my Aunts ex-son-in-law and his girlfriend are having is still on at my Aunts home. The idea of this is just unbelievable to me, who does stuff like that? How do you have a party at someone else's home first of all, but especially when they are not living there for health reasons? These people amaze me. I have to assume that my cousin had divorced him for a reason, perhaps because he had no common sense. Now I am left to get the house in order so that they are not pawing through my Aunt's stuff.

 
I do not care that he is an ex-son-in-law; the key word for me is ex! I do not care that this girlfriend has befriended my Aunt and visits her several days a week for several hours; the issue is that they have just stepped over what I consider a boundary that is in place. I honestly have a very bad feeling about the whole thing. Now my Aunt's Aide/Companion Anna and I are going to have to play puppeteers and clean out all of the papers she has laying around so that they do not fall into the wrong hands. I am very uncomfortable with this whole thing and my Aunt is acting like it is no big deal. "Why am I so upset, Nancy (the girlfriend) is very nice and she is a devoted friend?" My Aunt says to me. She has no idea what happens behind the scenes of her life. Now, not only am I mothering my own children, I am also mothering my Aunt.

 

I will move the papers, but that is all we will do. I am not doing cleaning or tidying up of any kind. I am also going to make her neighbors aware of this fiasco, so they can keep an eye on the house throughout the evening and finally Mark and I will have to go back there on Sunday to make sure everything is in order. Why my Aunt does not understand that we are responsible for her actions now is beyond me. She really does not seem to understand that we are the ones responsible for helping her life run in a positive and safe direction, and apparently this "friend" and ex-son-in-law of hers are not getting that or if they do, just don't care.

 

It is hard enough parenting teenagers, let alone a 92 year old woman. This is just ridiculous. The worst part is my Aunt is far more strong willed and difficult than my own children are. Worse yet, she can be so mean that I sometimes regress to my childhood and she scares me. Yet Mark and I continue to do all we do in the name of family. We could never live with ourselves if something happened to her, so we will continue to hold the strings of her life raft and keep her afloat. TOOT TOOT; ALL A SHORE THAT ARE GOING A SHORE!

 

No comments: