Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 267 The Perfect Mom Project


Avery stood in front of me as I talked to a friend on the phone yesterday. She was wearing the skirt that Aly gave her for her birthday, and she wanted to know what I thought. I was waving her off, because I was trying to finish my conversation on the phone, but she had apparently regressed to preschool mentality, because she was not getting the fact that I was on the phone and I was not interested in having the discussion right then and there. So, finally after she continued to flit about me I said, "it's (the skirt) too short and it needs to go back to the store." With that comment we were off and running through another teenitude.

 
We went back and forth verbally playing tug of war and I was beginning to lose my patience. Avery accused me of not wanting her to be cute and fashionable, and I continued to explain that the skirt was too short and that she could take it back and exchange it for a skirt that had a little more fabric and still be just as fashionable. I think that she was desperate to wear the skirt when she attended the movies later in the day with a friend, and I was cramping her new emerging style. Taking it back was not an option if she was going to wear it today, so obviously, I was the worst Mom in the world.
It seems like Avery and I are in that teenitude flow again. This morning as I drove her to school, I explained that if she forgot to bring anything to school today for a big history project , I would not be able to bring it to her "when" she called, because I am going to visit my Aunt Nina today. Avery then replied "When? Thanks, Mom for having faith in me, you are already assuming that I will not be prepared." We then began a verbal ping pong game as I explained that the word "when" meant, when she called, not when she called because she forgot something. She was misinterpreting my use of the word and then beating me over the head with it. All this as I drove her and all of her project supplies to school and helped her carry them in.

 
I am now stuck stewing about the whole stupid thing. I am certain that some of the tension in the air is due to the stress of the last couple of weeks, but most of it is due to the emerging teen who wants Mom to butt out. All I can tell you is it is not possible for me to butt out. I have always tried to give my kids as much room as I can to grow up. Sometimes they could use a little more than I offer, but other times I know I give too much room. Somehow it will all level out. In the mean time I am in no mood to arm wrestle, play verbal ping pong or even fight about my rules and my decisions with hormonal teenagers. You got to go to the movies, you were not naked and you looked cute, I also drove you to school helped you haul in your project items and kissed you and wished you a good day. I would say that as a Mom, I have done alright and you have survived another teenitude sneak attack. We are still in the trenches, and the battle remains in full swing, but I have a feeling that Mom will win once again.

No comments: