Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 270 The Perfect Mom Project

Well my day today opened right up yesterday when I received a call from my Aunt Nina's aide/companion Anna. Anna called to tell me that there was no need for us to meet at my Aunt's house to remove the papers and put them out of sight, because my Aunt had sent her friend over to the neighbors to get a key. This friend has already been in the house preparing for her card party. Now I am just throwing up my hands in the air in frustration and anger at this 92 year old woman that is clearly not thinking straight. Mark and I are now wondering what to do. We cannot help her maintain her life if she is going to completely disregard us and our concerns. I think at this point we have an unruly elderly teenager on our hands!

I am not sure how to even begin to handle this. I cannot ground her or take away any of her privileges like I would for my girls. I also do not feel right walking away from this responsibility and throwing her to the wolves, so here I stand in the middle of all of this trying to figure out what the heck to do to rein in this woman. On top of that, I am still in a state of anxiety over all of the nonsense that has happened in the last year with my dysfunctional family. I am actually lucky that I do not have an ulcer. I am going to make a few calls today to my Aunt's neighbors and also to her attorney. Something has to be done, and I have to figure out what.

Mean while my actual children are keeping me focused by being who they are. Avery's room is so messy; she actually met me at the door of her room last night and warned me not to come in because it would upset me. She also assured me that she is going to have it all in order by Saturday, since there is a sleepover invite hanging out there and she cannot go if her room is a mess. Aly did her part by singing a beautiful solo at her choir concert last night. She sang as if no one else was in the room except her and me. Her confidence and poise made me proud. I guess my prayers to get back to my real life are being answered in full force. With the love and support of my family and friends, I will keep moving in the direction of perfect mothering, who knew that my project would include a 92 year old woman. As the saying goes though, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans."

No comments: