Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 100 The Perfect Mom Project


WOO HOO!! 100 days of blogging! I am actually happy that I have been able to maintain this year of blogging so far. I am only 265 days away from the end. I know, don't be sad, I will try to cook up something else just as interesting to write about, but I probably will not commit to writing everyday. I have heard that it takes 21 days to make a habit, so I think that after 21 days it is past habit and more like a life style. Perhaps it will be harder to not write everyday, but regardless I am getting ahead of myself. I have a ways to go yet.

Yesterday I was back on cab duty. I am not sure how the girls cook up all of this stuff that requires me dropping everything and racing to get them. Yesterday they decided they were going to audition for the Christmas show at the high school. I agreed to drop them off a little before 4:00 PM, but told them that their Dad would pick them up between 5:00 and 5:30 PM on his way home from work. This plan was so that I could get dinner started.

Once I had the girls dropped off, I came home and started chopping up veggies for a soup I was making. Just as I was in the middle of cooking the soup the phone rang. "Mom, the auditions are over all ready" Aly tells me. It was 4:30 PM. "OK, I will have to come get you in a few minutes, I am at a crucial point in my soup preparation". AARRGH! I dropped everything and headed out to get them. Realistically, I should have just stayed there during the auditions, but Avery had told me if I was there she would be too nervous. I decided I would rather work on dinner, so that I was not rushed to get dinner on the table. That did not quite work out like I had planned.

It is getting to the point where I feel like there must be other Moms out there that are tired of being taxi's. Can we not organize and possibly create some kind of support network? I keep asking Aly if there are other kids we can ride share with, but I think she just likes having Mommy doing the driving. The other issue is that my daughter is making no moves towards driving herself. If she does not start practicing her driving soon, we are going to be hauling her around next year too! Do not get me wrong, I love my kids, and I am happy to give them a ride now and then. Maybe the over 34 hours in the car last week put me more over the edge, because, I am ready to hang up my taxi sign.

Not so fast, "Mom", if that's your real name! This is your week to drive in Avery's carpool to school. I never had a chance, just as I start to feel bold and ready to stand up to these kids, I realize I have no way out. I guess I will have to just relax and enjoy my time with the kids. It will not be long and they will be on their own. I will then miss all the time we used to spend together. You know, I am starting to think that being a Mom is one challenge after another. Someone should write an instruction manual or something.

No comments: