Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 106 The Perfect Mom Project


At 6:00 AM this morning we got the call, Avery's school is closed today because of a power outage. Aly was not pleased, her comment of course was "That's not fair!" Guess what Aly, to bad, life is not fair, now get on the bus!

I love how the girls think that everything breaks down into fair and not fair. There is no possible way to take two people and make everything "fair". Think about it, how fair would that actually be? Everyone of my children is different. If I insisted that they were to be exactly alike and raised them that way, odds are real good I would be hauled off for emotional child abuse or something. In order to make everything fair, I would be jeopardizing the people that they really are. So, I guess that by not being fair, I am actually being fair.

Now the trick is to help my kids understand that. I have told my girls to be ready, because when I pass away, it is not going to be fair. I will have done something for two of the girls and not for one, or I will have said I was going to do something and not get a chance to do it. It is not going to "be fair" and at that point, I am not going to be able to fix it.

So reality is that I am not going to try to be fair, I am just going to work at treating others the way I would want to be treated and teach my children by example. I am going to play by the rules and think about how my actions affect others. I am not going to take advantage of others or blame others for my mistakes. Most of all I will always tell the truth and I expect the truth back. If by doing this I raise children that live with integrity, then I have done the best job I can. If that is not fair, then OH WELL!

It is just another day in this parenting jungle and I have much to do. I must teach my children about fairness and justice, do laundry, make my Christmas list a little longer and possibly make some cookies with my daughter who "got" to stay home today. There is no time to waste when you are working towards perfection.

No comments: