Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 109 The Perfect Mom Project


After all the driving and stress of preparation for the Holiday Talent Show, comes word yesterday that it has been canceled. I honestly expected the girls to be disappointed, but all Aly said was, "Cool, now I can go shopping with my friend on Saturday."

I know this is probably really mean, but I am glad it was canceled too. I told the girls that as we all drove home from my round of pick ups yesterday. I know that they would have done a great job, they always do, I just was not up for it. I am having a hard enough time getting on board with this holiday, and I am trying to do anything I can to fake it until I get it. That includes baking cookies, which I swore off of last year. Yesterday afternoon I baked 9 dozen chocolate chip cookies. I know that I was short some(about a 1/2 doz.)because I kept eating the dough. After everything I know about eating raw dough, it would almost be considered attempted suicide.

I thought that if I did some of the things that I used to do over the holidays, it would get me into them more. One cookie that I am thinking about making is a cookie that my Mom loved, it is called Springerle. My Grandma used to make them every Christmas and when she passed away, my Mom gave me the special roller you need to make them. I also have the original hand written recipe that my Grandma used when she would bake these cookies, I have it framed and hanging on my wall. These cookies are a huge pain to make and I used to avoid making them. Now, this year with Mom gone, I am suddenly nostalgic enough to consider making them. The upside to this particular cookie is that the dough is not something you would enjoy eating raw!

Tonight, I might whip up some sugar cookie dough and have the girls work on cutting them out and baking them. They have always enjoyed decorating the sugar cookies, so maybe if I have them do the cutting and baking they will enjoy that too. I do not even really want all the cookies in the house, but baking them is kind of fun and it does help it seem more like Christmas. I know that this is a long shot, but why should I have all the fun? It would also be nice for all of us to come together to work on something. We are all either reading, on the computer or watching television. Perhaps a little time baking together would be fun, we shall see.

I am pedaling as fast as I can to get my Christmas spirit up and running. If the cookie baking does not work, I am thinking about having some of the girls friends over to go Christmas caroling. We did that a few times when the girls were little and I think it could be fun. I know you are thinking that I have gone Christmas crazy, but thats OK, I am not only trying to get back my Christmas spirit, I am also trying to work on my mothering, so this could be a win, win for everyone. Again...we shall see!

No comments: