Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 111 The Perfect Mom Project


"Mom, thanks so much I felt like a princess!" That one sentence put me as close to Perfect Mom status as I think I can get. All it took was helping my youngest get ready for her first big dance. She looked absolutely beautiful!


Avery was a roller coaster of emotion yesterday, excited and overwhelmed were the main two emotions that kept popping up. After I picked Avery up from school yesterday she told me that she had felt like crying all day long. As she told me this the tears started down her cheeks. She shared with me all of her worries about her friends. She loves her group of friends so much and she is worried that they are all growing apart. At one point I told her that Aly had gone through the same thing in 8th grade and she is still friends with her "posse" today. Avery looked right at me and said "Mom, I am not Aly!" Oops, I broke a mom rule by comparing my kids.

After talking a little longer, I took Avery into her salon appointment, to get her hair cut and then headed home to start curling her hair. Avery had told me she wanted to have a curly style for the dance, and I just looked at her and said, "I do not know if I can do what you want me to do Avery." She replied, "Mom don't be such a downer!" What? Downer? I am being honest! I decided I would give it my best shot, I had warned her.

Once we were home, I got started on her hair and "light" make-up. I worked for an hour curling strand after strand of hair into pretty curls. As I worked, Avery talked, sharing with me all kinds of things that a mom always hopes that her daughter will share with her. I heard about her friends and choices that they have made that bothered Avery. She also told me about her friends and boys and about boys and her. I did not say much, I tried to let her just chat. I wanted her to be able to release everything that she was feeling so that she could just enjoy the dance. As I finished up, Avery looked at me and said "Thanks Mom, I was worried that you and I would fight or something today,this turned out way better then I expected!" Hey, no problem, I can behave when I put my mind to it!

Once we were done with the preparations and Avery slipped on her dress and shoes she was transformed from ordinary middle school girl into a "princess". That is the word that Avery used to describe herself..."I feel like a princess!" Yea, mission accomplished, I had succeeded. Her hair was awesome, her pretty face was made up and she felt pretty. A mother could not ask for more then that. Of course we had her pose for several photos to preserve this special occasion. Over all the dance was a success. I even squeezed in a little dancing of my own, as I poured water and pop for all of the kids at the dance. I figured as long as I stayed behind the table and did not "bust a move" out on the dance floor I would be OK.

Avery is still telling me today how happy she is and how pretty she felt. I am happy too. I managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and guide my daughter through her first dance without embarrassing her or me. That is a pretty big deal all by its self, because everyone knows that a mom can slip up at any given moment and wreck everything.

No comments: