Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 247 The Perfect Mom Project


If I can get my fifteen year old through drivers training and she actually gets a license it will be a miracle! She will be driving along doing quite well and I will point something out to her and she loses it one minute and then another time she is fine. Now I am gun shy. Maybe that is part of her plan.

 
She seems to be driving fairly well, but she does tend to pick up speed at random times and when it comes to pulling into our garage, I never know who is driving, it could be Jekyll, or it could be Hyde. One day I can mention that she needs to adjust the car before she pulls in or back up and try again. Yesterday, I said to her "If Dad's car had been here you would have hit it" her response was "Well his car is not there!" then she proceeded to tell me that she cannot drive with me. Really? Because you are no peach yourself sister! Look, if I could I would let Mark handle all of the driving, but I am here with her more than he is and I can offer her a lot more driving time. The big picture is that I want her to drive, I want her to be able to spread her wings, and most importantly I want her to be able to drive herself places.

 
I admit it, I want her to grow up and have a life of her own. Maybe I am not the best driving partner for her, but at this point beggars should not be choosers. Either you want your license, or you want mom to drive you everywhere, or worse yet, your younger sister who in about nine months will start drivers training too. OK, that just hit me. My youngest will start drivers training in nine months, how crazy is that? Maybe she will be more receptive to my instruction. I will not even get my hopes up, however she has been in the car during many of Aly's training drives so, with any luck she may have picked up a few things. I sure hope so, because I am not sure I can go through this again.

 
I do remember when Ashleigh was learning to drive, as we drove down our street I would be flinching and yelling "mailbox, mailBOX, MAILBOX!" as I saw my life flashing before my eyes. She has actually turned out to be a good driver and I am no longer frightened to ride with her, so I know there is hope for the other two. I guess I will just have to be better about packing my patience when I step into the car with my trainee. However, I think we will have to have a chat about who pays the bills and who butters her bread so she understands two things, first of all, I am the person that she needs right now and second, you do not want to make me mad. You think I am hard to drive with now?

No comments: