Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 244 The Perfect Mom Project

I had a wonderful day yesterday, hanging out with my oldest daughter Ashleigh who had come in to town for Aly's play. She had stayed the night after the show and we made plans to do a little grocery and produce shopping together since she cannot find a lot of good produce and food items in the boonies where she lives. I am not saying boonies to be mean either; she really does live in the middle of nowhere.

So, how did my daughter who hates bugs and the outdoors, end up living in the country and learning to love boating and snowmobiling? I think love must not only help you forget, but it truly does conquer all things. Ashleigh may live in the middle of nowhere, but from the outside looking in, she has gone somewhere. She found a great man who loves her, and although he works long hours, sometimes seven days a week, they have made a great life for themselves in the boonies. They have made great friends and they have a beautiful home. They are always doing something fun together.

As we talked yesterday, I found myself thinking how great she was. Ashleigh has matured into an even more beautiful woman now that she has married. I enjoyed talking with her about all sorts of things and getting her perspective. They were easy and comfortable conversations and I realized I had raised a great kid, who has become a great friend. I am a very lucky Mom! My biggest disappointment is that we literally for some weird reason have no pictures of just us together. This is a problem I intend to fix as soon as possible.

I want to savor these times. I hope that in the years to come I can move into the same type of relationship with my younger girls. Only time will tell if this is possible, but I plan to work hard to see this hope become a reality. Being friends with my girls just seems like a beautiful present that when it is handed to you, you hate to open it because it might spoil the package, but once you do open it you are delighted at what you find inside. It is just a beautiful gift all the way through, inside and out!

No comments: