Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 234 The Perfect Mom Project


We are all still dragging. I think it will take my family seven days to recover from our vacation. But with the busy week we have ahead of us we have to keep pushing forward. Yesterday, as I worked on load after load of laundry, dropped Marks car at the tire store and did some minor cleaning around my house I decided should give my Aunt Nina a call and let her know we were back. That one call added more to my list of things to do.

 
"Hi Aunt Nina, How are you doing?" "Terrible, I want to get out of here, I want to go to the senior living place as soon as possible!" she replied. One sentence turned me into my aunt's puppet again. After speaking with the social worker at the nursing home it has been decided it is best for everyone if Aunt Nina moves to the other facility. She has become extremely agitated with her roommate and the staff and nothing seems to make her happy anymore. So after calling the senior living facility I received about 25 pages of paper work to fill out. My aunt thinks she will be moving any day, and I have to be the one to tell her it will probably be at least a week. On top of our all ready busy week, Aly has an all day play practice on Saturday and Avery has a soccer game. Once we are done with those obligations we are planning to head out for the two hour drive to Ashleigh's house to spend some time with her and Scott and pick up my sweet dog, which I miss very much.

 
While I think that this move really is the best thing for my aunt it is frustrating that she seems so childish with the expectation that I can make all of this happen based on her time frame, and with no real understanding of what I am actually able to do right now. I will start working on all of this paperwork today and the senior facility is sending someone over this morning to the nursing home to access my aunt to see what type of care she will need once she moves. Even this will be a trick, since she seems to be able to convince people that she can do things that I know she cannot do. All I know is that I have not been able to grocery shop yet and I am waiting for my family to revolt. My fridge is empty! I guess we will have to eat out tonight on our way to the visitation for our friends Dad. Last night Mark and I went to our other friend's visitation for her Mom and ended up leaving our girls home. Aly had just gotten home from play practice and had homework to do, and Avery was piled high with homework too.

 
The big picture is that life hands you all kinds of surprises, and you just have to roll with them. Watching my friends deal with their losses, I realize that once my aunt does leave this earth, I will miss her very, very much. Even with all the frustrations she causes she is the one that holds all the memories of our family and I am not sure I am ready to carry that torch. So I will just have to suck it up and make her happy, she is 92 and a half years old and if she wants to move dog gone it, she is going to move!

No comments: