Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 31 The Perfect Mom Project

Aly and Avery informed me that they both need to be picked up from school at 4:15 today. The only problem is that their schools are at opposite ends of town. This is when I feel most like a shuttle bus. Trying to coordinate who to pick up when, can be similar to planning a military mission.

A couple of days ago I decided to run out to the store to get a few groceries. It was late in the day and I was cutting it close. Aly had informed me that morning, she was staying after school for a drama meeting. I knew I would have to pick her up, but I was not too sure about the time. I figured what the heck, go for it! Off I went, I had great confidence and I was ready to shop. I pulled into my parking spot, (at the store) shut off my car and heard my phone trill its pretty "you have a text" sound. I hesitantly opened my phone and read, "Can you pick me up at 3:00 PM?". AGH, it was 2:30 PM, I would have to be Speed Racer in the store in order to get to the school on time. I texted her back that I was at the store and would get there ASAP.

I was flying around the store throwing things into the cart making up recipes in my head. As I pulled my tag at the deli so that I could order some lunch meat, I knew that I would have to practice deep breathing, it always seems to be a long wait. Once I was done there I made one last swing through the produce department and I was off! Hooray, I did it I would make it to the school by 3:15 and still be home when Avery got home. Yea me!

Once home with the groceries put away in the cupboards I decided to spend a little time playing my DS game. Comfy in a big chair with my feet up, I look up to see Aly walking by with a huge arm load of laundry. "Um Aly, you might want to wait on that." She stops in her tracks and looks at me aggravated, "why?". "Well, remember when you texted me today? I was rushing through the store and I forgot laundry soap. Sorry, I will go back out right now and get some." About the time I was heading out, Mark saved the day by calling to tell me he was on his way home. Since he would be going right by the store he offered to stop. Phew, saved by my trusty sidekick again!

Once again as I am getting cozy in my chair Aly tells me that she has an overdue book at the library, and she needs to take it back today! I figured since I did not have to run out to the store going to the library was no big deal, so off we went. As we headed home I started to realize how hungry I was. I was looking forward to getting home and having dinner. I had decided that since Mark was still working on projects in the yard he would appreciate a simple dinner so that he could get outside quickly. My dinner idea was sandwiches. I had a delicious variety of lunch meats ready and waiting.

As we all came together to prepare our yummy meal it was brought to my attention that we had only three slices of bread in the house. Oh, for crying out loud! Have I completely lost it? Off I went back to the store while my family stood there waiting to eat. Considering that this is the second time in two weeks that we have been out of bread (at the worst possible time) maybe I should get a clue and buy bread when I go the store! Let's just say that on that day I was not feeling very close to becoming the Perfect Mom. I felt more like a worn out, used up, not very on the ball Mom.

As I prepare my military strategy for child pick up today, I am already on the ball with a dinner idea. I am pretty sure I have everything I need, but just in case I will start early. Of course the dinner idea I bought all the ingredients for is soup, and it is one of the warmest September days on record. Everyday is an exciting new adventure here in Mom world!

No comments: