Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 21 The Perfect Mom Project

I have now been writing this blog for 21 days. Wow, 21 days can you believe it? Mark has told me that at Dale Carnegie he learned it takes 21 days to make a habit. I definitely have a habit. If I am not able to write first thing in the morning I am very frustrated! This morning was a little slow due to the anniversary celebrating we did yesterday. Great day though, I just love my guy!

Anyway, back to the purpose of this blog, my kids. A weird thing happened on Friday morning. I was downstairs writing and asked Avery (who was upstairs eating breakfast) if she would feed Roxanne our dog. Once Roxanne was done eating I went upstairs to take her for a quick walk. Avery was finishing up breakfast and we chatted for a minute. I figured I would get Roxanne out before Avery had to leave for school and then I would wish her a good day and see her off. I know sounds sweet doesn't it?

Roxanne was delighted to be out and kept walking farther and farther from the house, and I was getting aggravated, because I wanted to get home to Avery. I finally dragged the dog back home and came in the back door. Right away I noticed that Avery's cereal bowl was off the table and the lights were out. That's weird, where is Avery? I started calling downstairs and down the hall. I went to her room and opened the door and I checked the downstairs bathroom. I was starting to panic. Where could she be? In order for her to get to the bus she has to go down the street I was just on. I ran out the back door and looked down the street. I ran to the back yard and looked towards the bus stop that she walks to. Nothing, now, I am really worried!

How could someone come in here and take her without me even seeing, oh my God!! As a last resort, I jumped in my car and raced to the bus stop to see if she was there, and there she was. What the heck? She came running over to the car, "Mom, before you say anything, I looked everywhere for you, I called downstairs and I even looked outside. I was afraid I was going to miss the bus!" At that point I did not care what happened, I was just happy I found her. We figured out that while I was coming in the back door she was walking down the front sidewalk. So about the time she was out of sight I was calling for her. Phew, what a relief. I was so happy to have my baby back!!

This incident reminded me of years ago when we took all our girls to Disney world for Halloween. We were so excited, because we were going to trick or treat on Halloween in the Magic Kingdom, what fun!! Ashleigh was dressed like Minnie Mouse and Aly was dressed like Pooh Bear. Avery had on the cutest dragon costume! As we were walking around the Magic Kingdom we found a place where you could meet the characters and get thier autograph. That sounded like fun to the kids, so we got in line. The way it worked was that they would open the doors to this room and let a small group in at a time. When it came to our turn we were so excited. I wanted Aly to have her picture taken with Pooh Bear in the worst way, I could not wait.

As things settled down from the previous group leaving and our group coming in I began to pose with the characters. Of course, along with the cute photos of the kids I wanted some of me too! That is when Mark said to me, "Ragen wheres Aly"? I had no idea where she was! Well at this point the Disney staff was on it! They started radioing people and locking down the area. Well, as some of you might know, whenever you leave a Disney ride, exhibit or anything, you have to go through a store, so we ran out the exit doors hoping to find her. And there was our little Pooh, roaming around the store shopping, she was 3 years old and already into retail! She had walked out with the group that was ahead of us when the door had opened and did not even realize we were not with her. Another, PHEW occasion!

I do not consider myself an over protective mother, but when things like this happen I become so overwhelmed. The thought of anything happening to my children is too much to even consider. My Great Aunt who is 91, lost her only child who was in her 50's about 3 years ago. She has told me that some days she can barely take the pain. I can not even imagine what that must be like. I can only guess from the little moments of panic that I have felt that the pain is beyond words. My heart breaks for her. I thank God that I am able to hug my girls and kiss them and even be annoyed by them. How lucky am I? Real Lucky!

No comments: