Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 13 The Perfect Mom Project

It is 10 hours later then I normally post, and I have to apologize. I am as frustrated as you are that I was not posted at 8:00 AM. My oldest daughter was up and ready to walk with me this morning at 7:30 AM and I could not let the chance pass to spend that time with her. It was great to walk and talk with my daughter Ashleigh.

Last night was a little tough. I am constantly questioning my parenting style, and last night really put me to the test. My daughter Aly came home from a bonfire with a bunch of friends, (thanks to Scott and Ashleigh for picking her up for me!). Once she had told me a little about her evening she immediately disappeared. I figured out she was on the computer I told her to get off the computer and go to bed. That is when things took a turn for the worse.

Apparently once you leave a party location you must get home to the computer to continue talking to all the people you just left. I was stunting her socially AGAIN! Well, you know what I am pretty much past caring. I have done an awful lot to get her in the loop both financially and physically, so if I want her out of the loop, that is where she will be. So, after a few snotty words on both sides I asked her for her phone. Oh boy, that was a tough one. Aly actually took it pretty well, I think she knew that she had pushed the envelope.

My point about this is more that I was just winging it. I have no idea whether that was the right thing to do or not, it just made the most sense at the time. Maybe in the big picture there was something else I could have done, but in my picture at 11:15 PM that was the only way to go. I have declared to my children more then once that I do not claim to be an expert at this, but I am all they have, and they best just learn to make do. However, if the truth be told, I am always insecure about putting my foot down, and stunting them for life.

In the end, I spoke with Aly this morning about what happened and she asked me very nicely for her phone back. OK, why not, she did go almost 10 hours with out her phone, I don't want to be cruel!! Let's be realistic, I did want her to be in the loop, didn't I? This whole mothering thing is not for the weak, that's for sure!!

No comments: