Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 12 The Perfect Mom Project

I may have created a monster. I am not sure , but I see some of the signs. Ever since my middle child Aly has gotten her new phone she has it strapped to her side 24 hours a day. I really took it to heart when she said no one calls on the phone anymore, they only text or facebook each other. I thought that we should bring her up to speed socially. All I can say is she is definitely up to speed! She is probably at light speed socially now. She has been busier this last week then she has been her whole life. I am amazed.

When she first presented her argument for a phone I thought it was a bunch of bologna. But she has really proven her point in a very short amount of time. Yesterday, we all went up to the Peach Festival carnival. I found myself texting Aly and my oldest Ashleigh who was on her way to visit us. Things like, "Where r u?", "I have ur jacket", "Where is Avery?" her response to this was "idk". That took me a minute, I do not have the texting short cuts down yet, but it means, I don't know. Someone I was standing with at the time told me they thought I was doing a lot of texting and not much socializing. Pretty ironic, since the whole reason my daughter has a phone now, was to get her into the social loop, and here I am being antisocial, who knew.

The other thing that I thought of yesterday was how texting will affect how people communicate with each other in the future, and also how this will affect every one's writing skills. I mentioned my concerns to Aly, but she did not seem too worried about it. However, she may not have understood what I was saying, because I used all the vowels and consonants in each word. One thing is for sure, I am able to keep in touch with her now too. I am also feeling pretty good about staying up on the newest technical gizmo's. I just think that if I do not stay up with what is out there I will become the loser mom that "doesn't get it". Since I am working towards perfection I think that is probably not the way to go. So today maybe I will study up on my texting...bfn (Bye for now).

No comments: