Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 161 The Perfect Mom Project



Wikipedia states: Decision making can be regarded as an outcome of mental processes (cognitive process) leading to the selection of a course of action among several alternatives. Every decision making process produces a final choice. The output can be an action or an opinion of choice.

In the picture at right,

A decision tree consists of 3 types of nodes:-

1. Decision nodes - commonly represented by squares

2. Chance nodes - represented by circles

3. End nodes - represented by triangles

Last night as we drove home from church, Aly mentioned that her and her girlfriend decided that they were not good decision makers and they were both certain it was their Moms fault. Apparently since Aly was a child, my habit of asking her “Are you sure?” or “How about this instead of that?” and last but not least “What if?” has stunted her into a person that struggles with decision making. When she first mentioned this in the car, I took it like a big girl and said nothing, but as I sat there I realized that I did not need to take the hit for this issue anymore. I turned to her and said, “Aly, the fact that you recognize that this is a problem for you, gives you full responsibility to change it.” “You cannot continue to blame your Mom for something that you know you do and you do not like about yourself, it is up to you to change it now.”

As I was saying this out loud I realized that my question to myself a few days ago of why I was able to become the person that I am today, had just explained it’s self. I saw what I did not like and I made a decision to change it. I am not sure if it was a conscious decision, but it was a decision. I take full responsibility for the life I have now, because I know that I created it. I cannot change my childhood, but I have been able to create a wonderful adulthood! I am starting to realize that I need to let my Mom off the hook. She did the best that she could, the fact that her best (in my opinion) was not that great, means nothing now. I am a big girl and I can make my own decisions, so I have no one to blame but myself. Wow, that was an “Ah ha” moment if I do say so myself.

I found the picture above on Wikipedia; it shows the science of decision making. Within all of the squares, triangles, and circles there is a thought process to decide something. If this is how a normal brain decides anything, I do not think that Aly’s issue is my entire fault, it is a complicated and difficult process and not as cut and dry as you might think. But I will leave that up to you to decide.

No comments: