Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 138 The Perfect Mom Project


We finally have snow! So far this winter we have had dustings of snow, but nothing substantial. Yesterday the snow started to fall and it just kept coming. By 5:30 PM last night we had a good 3 inches, and it was still coming. Even now early in the morning it is coming down a little. My girls will deny it, but they love snow. They get so excited when it snows for a variety of reasons.


The first reason is that if it keeps coming and it gets bad enough, the district will cancel school. I am a huge snow day lover! I just love going in and telling them to turn off their alarms. I also love sitting quietly as they sleep watching the snow and the fire in the fire place. There is something very peaceful about that time. It is actually very cute all the things that the kids have come up with to help a snow day happen. First you must wear your pajamas inside out. Then you sleep with a spoon under you pillow. Avery informed me last night to really make it stick; you should do some special dance and then flush an ice cube down the toilet too. That is when I said “Just GO to bed”. Sadly, there is school today and I have heard from Avery how disappointed she is, as much as she loves school she loves sleeping in more.

As we waited for Mark to get home from his long stressful drive in the snow last night, Aly decided that she wanted to go out and shovel the driveway. I was so impressed. She got on all her snow clothes and off she went. After a good 45 minutes I was done getting dinner ready and I went out to help her. She had done a good deal of the driveway before I got out there and I helped her finish it up. We marveled at how quiet it becomes when it snows; the snow does an amazing job of sound proofing. As it comes down you can almost hear it saying “Shhhhhhh”. It was nice to spend that time with Aly working together and playing in the snow.

Later after Mark was home safe and sound and we had dinner the girls decided to go out and sled. They had a great time in the dark playing in the snow. It was so nice to see them hanging out together and not fighting! The evening went so fast, the girls came in and were reading and relaxing and suddenly I was looking at the clock and saying to them “time to get ready for bed!” I know it seems crazy to be telling these girls that are in high school and 8th grade, that it is time for bed, but if I do not stay on them they stay up reading in their room and wake up crabby. I consider my telling them to go to bed protection against a possible crabby attack in the morning.

This morning we are moving more quietly as Avery and I prepare for the day. It feels like we are trying to respect the silence that the snow brought us last night. We are talking in hushed tones and it feels almost reverent. I like this quietness and I am going to try to hold on to it. I may take a little longer to get ready today. I will move slower and possibly rest a while by the fire. I need this inner peace right now. I can still hear the snow saying “shhhhhhhh.”


No comments: