Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 145 The Perfect Mom Project



I think we are back to good health here at the house. Avery is up and she is getting ready for school. She did a lot of sleeping yesterday, which worked out well, because when I called the doctor yesterday, I was told he was off this week. I went back and forth about whether or not to take her to urgent care, and decided against it. It was not urgent, it was just a case of an over protective Mom.


That’s how it works when you are a Mom; you just fly by the seat of your pants. There is no “How to be a Mom for Dummies” book. There are a lot of opinions about parenting out there, and a lot of books about what others think you should do, but when it is all said and done, you are still just doing what you think you should do, right or wrong. I know a lot is based on how you were raised. I am always working to not raise my children the way I was raised, which I think is a good choice. I know others that are raising their children the way they were raised, which I think is also a good choice. There is no hard and fast rule.

I remember when my oldest daughter Ashleigh was born. I was taught at the hospital (before I brought her home) to put her on her tummy to sleep. By the time I had Aly, they (the hospital) were telling me that the tummy was unsafe and to make sure I put her on her side to sleep. I think you just have to listen to what the “experts” think and say and then try to fit that into the life you live, if the idea works, great, if not try out ideas from another “expert”.

Today, I will throw caution to the wind and just do what I always do, wing it. I am no expert obviously, but I think I do try my very best each and everyday. I will be curious to see how it all plays out when my kids have children of their own though. Will they try my style of parenting (that’s scary!) or do their own thing? Only time will tell, but I am looking forward to watching this whole circle of life play out. Perhaps there will be a new generation of perfect mom want-to-be’s.

No comments: