Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 159 The Perfect Mom Project

I was thinking today of all the milestones I have had in my life. It is funny to me that the milestones that mean the most to me are the ones that I have had since I had my oldest daughter Ashleigh. I think that once I had Ashleigh and married Mark, my life actually began. The years before that were filled with many stepping stones, but none of them as lasting and as important as the milestones beginning with Ashleigh.


I remember when I had Ashleigh I felt like I had received the greatest gift God could offer me. I use to drive a small car and as I would ride along, I would reach back to the backseat and hold her little hand, wanting to stay connected to her. From the moment she was born, I was determined to be a better Mom then what I had experienced. I wanted to be a good example to her and help her become the best person she could be. I feel I have accomplished that, I hope that I can continue to be successful with the other two girls as well.

I am not sure how I knew that how I was raised was not the “normal” way. I also try to take into consideration that there is no such thing as normal. I know that so many things happened in my early life that somewhere along the line just about anyone could have figured out that this was just not how you raise children. Just what was it that helped me overcome that life and become the wife and mother I am today? I know when it was just Ashleigh and me; it was pure determination, to live in one place so she could grow up with life long friends and also the desire to give her every opportunity I could. Once Mark came into the picture and became a part of our lives, he helped Ashleigh and I learn to laugh more and enjoy ourselves. We learned from Mark that life was something to savor, it was not just work, life could be fun too. Mark was my second major milestone; my other two girls were two more major milestones.

Next week, I will step into another milestone in my life; I will turn fifty years old. I am apprehensive about this milestone. I know that to some fifty represents aging, but I want to turn that around. I know I am older, and getting older everyday, but I hope to make this milestone a beginning. I have warned my family, that I do not want a tombstone cake or anything that represents being fifty as something that is negative. I want to step into this new decade with pride and confidence in the years ahead. I want to show that within this milestone, I am not getting older, I am getting better. The best part is that I will have my trusty sidekick Mark there along with my wonderful children to remind how great my life is, if I get off track. It is obvious to me that God’s gifts did not stop when Ashleigh was born; God has been filling my life now for almost fifty years and I am certain that there are more gifts to come. My children being His gifts, makes me more determined to work at being the perfect (or at least darn close) mom.
Photo: Ashleigh and me 2002
By the way, I will not be going back to this hair style (in the photo) ever again!!

No comments: