Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 136 The Perfect Mom Project



We have house guests. Ashleigh and Scott are working in an area near where we live and they are staying with us so they do not have to leave home at 3:30 in the morning to get to work. They both work for the same company, Scott has worked there for many years and Ashleigh started working there in college. Ashleigh only works on certain jobs, so she was just called in to help with this one. They also brought along my favorite Grand dog, Louis.
It has only been about three days and things seem to be going well. I really am not worried about them being here, and I know they are frustrated, because they thought it would only be a couple of nights, but I am glad we can help them out. I am glad they are here, because I know that they are safe and not driving the winter roads in the early morning or dark night. I am not sure how long they will be here, but as long as they need us, we will be here for them.
We really do not see them that much. They leave for work at 5:00 AM and return usually around 7:30 or 8:00PM. It is hard work in a rough (mainly for Ashleigh, since it is all men) environment. They both work for a deconstruction company and right now with the economy; they take any job that comes along. Scott is the superintendent of the job, and Ashleigh is the coordinator. She works inside in the office. I am proud of them both, because I know they are hard workers and they do a great job.
I know they are worried about stepping on our toes and taking advantage, and we are worried about them not having privacy. Somehow, we will make this work. Mark pointed out to me as we were grocery shopping the other day that I was fussing over what my Son-in-law likes or does not like, trying to make sure that I had what he wanted. Mark said to me “You would never do that for one of your own kids, why are you doing that for him”. “If your own kids told you they prefer rotini pasta to spaghetti, you would say, to bad!” Hmn, good point! I am not sure why. And with that the jig was up! Now I am on guard for my favoritism. I suppose that part of it was that I love my Son-in-law very much. He has a good heart and tries hard to make my daughter happy. Since she is the fruit of my loin, I know that some days it is not an easy task. Mark would say she is very much like her mother and probably pat Scott on the back and say something like “Good luck!”

We shall see how all this plays out over time, but for now it seems like it is going OK and I would like to keep it that way. Over all, I am to busy to be in their face to much, and they are never here, so it seems like a win, win. Only time will tell. But quite honestly, I am confident that a perfect mom would have her children move in with her if they needed to, so I think I am on the right track!

No comments: