Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 144 The Perfect Mom Project


Avery is telling me she is not feeling well this morning. Welcome to the fine line, Ragen...

How do you decide whether or not to let what seems like a perfectly healthy child stay home from school? She does not have a temperature, she is just very tired. I do not see anything in particularly wrong with her, so what do I do? My gut tells me send her to school, but my heart is saying awwww, poor baby, let Mommy take care of you. I know Avery loves school and I am certain that she is not trying to pull a fast one and skip school, so what will it hurt to let her stay home today. So, I guess we have a decision, phew! Honestly, she had been complaining about being tired for over a week, so it is probably a good idea to get her to our doctor and have her checked out. Next week is Midterms at school and she will need to be healthy and alert for those.

I am not a doctor, although I like to diagnose myself and my family members all the time. It is so hard to know when to keep the kids home, when to get the doctor involved and when to say “Go to school”. You run a risk with each decision. If you keep them home they could spend the whole day watching TV and just hanging out, the child is fine, just not up to going to school. You could take them to the doctor, spending your hard earned money to find out they have nothing wrong except a parent that fell for their (“I don’t feel good”) line. If you send them to school you could be sending your child to spread germs to all the unsuspecting teachers and students. This is a lot of pressure for an average Mom.

I have decided to keep Avery home and take her to the doctor today. I am going to hit the ball out of the park with my parenting decisions. I will do both just to cover myself. I know a few years ago, I kept putting Aly off when she was complaining about being tired and it turned out she had Mononucleosis. Now, that was a very uncomfortable parenting moment! So, today I will take no chances, and cover every base. That is probably what a good and perfect Mom would do. Do not be fooled, this parenting stuff is not for sissies!!

Today’s photo is Avery at 2 years old.

No comments: