Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 210 The Perfect Mom Project


Todays photo is of a Aly who does not feel well, with Roxanne nursing her back to good health.
I am feeling very sad for Aly today. She has not been feeling well and all of the exciting things that she had planned for this weekend have been going down the drain one by one. Friday night she was watching movies at a friend's house and called her Dad to come get her because she did not feel good, then yesterday she went to a girlfriends birthday party, but came home early again just feeling crummy. When she came home last night, she realized that she would not be up to going to the vocal audition she had scheduled for today and she emailed the woman that she was auditioning for she would not be able to make it.

 
Aly has wanted a shot at this audition for a very long time. At our church they have a great high school youth program and they invite talent from the youth program to audition. It has been a dream of Aly's to sing for this program since we joined this church a few years ago. When she received the email a couple of weeks ago, she was so excited. She had chosen a song to perform and she was hoping that this would be her chance to live her dream. Now she is sick. I can only hope that they will give her an alternate date to audition. I just do not want to see her disappointed.

 
Today my work as a mom will be cut out for me. I want to help her get better, but I also want to make sure that she knows that she is fabulous even without the audition. She recently got a lead role in the High School spring musical, so I hope that by pointing out to her (I am sure she already knows this, but a "good" mom does it anyway) that no matter what she has that part, it will take some of the sting out of not going to this audition. But there is a very fine line, I must be careful not to cross. While I do not want her to be disappointed, I also know that disappointment is a big part of life. By helping her walk through this with grace, perhaps it will also help her later in life, if she is faced with an even bigger disappointment.

 
We have all been there, something we were counting on or hoping for and suddenly it is gone. The trick is the bouncing back. Taking the first steps forward and continuing on until the disappointment is behind you. And then you are part of the "Life goes on" club and you are allowed to give advice and support to others struggling through disappointment. I have to say that so far Aly seems to be handling the whole thing pretty well, so maybe she will not need me in her face trying to mother her, or give her advice. I will just stand by at the ready with my bag of Mom tricks just in case. It is just another day of me working towards perfect mothering, now I just need to figure out if that means I stand by in case I am needed or if I jump in and hand out my opinion. At this point I am shooting for standing by…wish me luck.

No comments: