Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 208 The Perfect Mom Project


Ahhhhh…its Friday. I am very much looking forward to this weekend. Although I already know it is going to be very busy, somehow the thought of it being the weekend makes being busy OK.

 
Avery has a sleepover at a friend's house tonight, Aly has plans tonight and Mark and I have plans tonight. That is just the kick off to the weekend. Tomorrow is basically just as busy and so is Sunday. I keep telling myself that I should buy one of those giant calendars and put it on the side of my refrigerator for all of us to see, but it just seems too momish. I know it is crazy, since it would be way more organized. It does get a little stressful trying to keep track of everyone on my cell phone's calendar, since you cannot see each day laid out in front of you like you can on a good old fashioned paper calendar. Maybe I can find a calendar that looks cool yet has room for all of our activities. Aly is in the spring musical and Avery will start soccer soon; add to that the orthodontist appointments and other extracurricular activities. Throw in the things Mark and I do and you have a complicated schedule that requires a full out mom approved calendar system.

 
In most circles our family is actually not that busy. We have really tried to pare it down from what it was a few years ago. I just could not take the running to dance and soccer and all the other things that we had going on. It felt like we were in constant motion. I like to have the kids involved in things that they enjoy, but nothing good will come from them having their lives so packed that they have no down time at all. I like that we are able to eat dinner together most nights. Having that time to check in with everyone is a little like a human calendar. We are each able to talk about what has been going on and what is coming up too. This keeps us aware of each other and our lives, which I think is really important in helping us maintain our family relationship.

 
With the way our schedule looks this weekend, I think the closest we will come to maintaining our relationship will be high fiving each other as we are coming in and out the door. Now that we all have cell phones, I guess we can text each other too. Welcome to 2010, the year of the in touch, out of touch family.

No comments: