Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 207 The Perfect Mom Project


I almost lost my potential perfect mom status yesterday. It started yesterday morning when I asked my youngest daughter Avery if after our dog Roxanne ate she could help me out and take the dog out. Her response was, "No, tonight is my night to take her out" Our family plan calls for the girls to take turns setting the table, feeding and taking out the dog and doing the dishes after we eat each night. The plan is that whoever takes out the dog also sets the table. So, last night was Avery's night for this task. Rather than jumping up and chasing my sweet daughter down the street with the broom, I decided I would reason with her. I explained (not calmly) to her that other then the girls taking out the dog once each night, most of the taking out of the dog fell on me or her Dad. "So?" she replied. So… (Can you believe she said that to me?)? "So, you better take out the dog!" I said extremely aggravated. She did take Roxanne out, but I am certain that she yanked her out and yanked her back into the house. Poor Roxanne had to pay for the fact that I asked Avery to help me out. Then she had the nerve to say to me, "You're not going to thank me?"

 
When I was a child my Mom's famous saying was "Children should be seen and not heard!" I was constantly reminded of my subservient role. I am trying to figure out how she (my mom) got away with that, since my kids have all always been seen and heard. Now that they have hit the teen years, they like to be seen and heard even more. Honestly, I can handle the fits of anger and the talking back now and then, because over all I have some great kids. It also helps that I have one daughter successfully launched into the world. Those things give me hope that the next two will make it out of here, without too much push back from them. My Mother-in-law had told me once that she had said to one of her daughters, not to fight her, because she wanted her to grow up and move out. That's what I want my girls to know too. I am just a stepping stone in their lives. In the not too distant future I will be setting these last two children adrift out into the world. So, I guess if they are going to test authority, and give somebody a hard time I am probably the best test track for that. Of course, that does not mean I have to like it!

 
As I sit writing this Avery has asked me if I am writing about her. I said that I am. I even read to her what I wrote. Now, she is suggesting that perhaps I give up writing my blog and take up bracelet making, or something. I guess it is a little uncomfortable for her that her teenitude is hanging out for the world to see. I like my new word, combining attitude and teen really makes sense, at least at my house. Because we have teens with attitude many days of the week, so it is more easily explained as teenitude. Let's see, what would be the definition of teenitude? Teenitude: Teenager with the delusion that they know way more than their parents (who are idiots), and the inability to control their temper or mouth when it is in their best interest.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think you should send your word to Merriam-Webster so they can add it to the dictionary. The definition you gave fits my kids too.