Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 194 The Perfect Mom Project



Well, I am at my wits end! I know you are probably tired of hearing me whine about not feeling well, so I will spare you the details, however…how much longer can this go on? That's it, nothing more.

 
I had a great time with my daughter Aly yesterday. I picked her up during her lunch hour at school and took her to the orthodontist. After her appointment we stopped at our local Coney Island for some lunch. We chatted about a lot of things including boys. I mentioned that a friend's daughter had seen her walking down the hall with a boy a while back, and she told me that, that had been a short lived relationship. She had discovered that they really had nothing in common and it was not a very comfortable or easy going friendship. She decided to just move on.

 
We watched as two little girls ran into the restaurant, probably between the ages of two and four and as they ran up to one of the waitresses, they grabbed her around the legs and yelled "MOMMY!" It was the cutest thing; it took me back to when my girls were that little. You could hear them in the booth behind us with their dad trying to decide what to have for lunch. They were both so excited, and when their lunch came they both squealed "MAC AND CHEESE!" with such excitement that it made both Aly and I smile. I looked at Aly and said "Remember when you used to get excited about your food?" Aly just laughed. As we were preparing to leave the waitress stopped by to see if we needed anything else and I asked her if those were her daughters (this was mainly to be polite, because it was pretty obvious) and I told her how cute they were. She told me that they were 20 months apart. My youngest girls are 22 months apart and I shared with her that they fought like cats, but were good friends through thick and thin. The waitress agreed that her girls were the very same way.

 
It was a nice feeling thinking back and remembering my girls as little. As they have all gotten older I have left some of those memories locked in my brain, and it was a warm happy feeling to remember back to the cute little outfits and happiness about just about anything including food. As my girls have all gotten older we have gotten so caught up in the business of daily living that we have left some of the joy and amazement at some of the simple things behind us. Seeing those cute little girls so full of love and enthusiasm reminded me that I still have that with all my girls, just that it shows up differently.


Now there is excitement over an outing with friends or a trip somewhere. There is the occasional excitement over some shoes or an outfit and once in a while extreme excitement over my spaghetti or the possibility of pizza. I hope that the joy over the little things never leaves their lives, because some days that is just about all that gets you through. Yesterday it brought me joy to know that Aly could discern between a good relationship and a bad one. As I picked her up from play practice last night I shared with her, that I was proud of her for recognizing that this boy was not right for her and moving on. I explained that she could have hung on to the relationship just so she could say she had one, but by letting it go it showed her maturity. Our house rule is no dating until 16 and Aly is 5 months away from that mile marker. It is a good feeling to know that she is learning now what to look for, because someday soon she is going to run into the house grab me and squeal, "MOM, SO AND SO ASKED ME OUT!" That will be when our excitement chart will switch up again to include Proms and college and more weddings.
My, how time flies when you are just being a mom!
Todays photo is from  Ashleigh's senior prom (Isn't she beautiful?)

No comments: