Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 97 The Perfect Mom Project


On the road again! We left New Orleans at 3:30 this morning, we are all ready to be home. To much anxiety and stress, not enough fun. I wish I could say it was worth it, but I am just not sure. We do have my Mom's ashes with us, which was a goal I had, so that is a plus. It will be good to put her to rest with some dignity. Something about my Mom hanging out in my Dad's love nest really bugged the heck out of me!

So, lets talk about the Big Meeting" ARGH!! For someone who says he wants all of us to be closer, I would say that my Dad is doing his best to drive us apart. I actually said that during the meeting. I told him that this was driving a wedge between all of us. The whole way he is handling this makes everyone feel like they are the odd man out. Reality is we all are, he has moved on. His house is cleansed of all family photos and all of the things that he and my mother shared are shoved into rooms with the doors closed. And do not get me started on the Elvis shrine that replaced the area upstairs where my parents had all of their family photos from when they were young. I am serious about the shrine complete with long tall glass candles and Elvis's picture on black velvet. Who are you and what have you done with my Dad?

Back to the meeting...as I spoke about the wedge that was between all of us now, I commented that I did not think it was fair to his biological children if no one else that he was leaving half of his estate to someone that had only been in his life a short time. At this point, [The Girlfriend] speaks and says "I took care of your Mother!" Mark then told her "Don't go there", then one of my brother-in-laws said, "You got paid for that!". I realized that my best course of action was to show grace and be quiet. This woman had no idea what she had helped do to this family, and if she did have an idea, she did not care. I have a pretty good feeling that her and her family have jumped on the gravy train.

Basically,my Dad is going to do what he wants, and has found a way around my Mom's trust. He did say during the meeting that he was sorry he had not exercised his Power of Attorney and dissolved her trust while she was still alive. Here is where I thought to myself..."he has lost his mind and he thinks he is King now". So no one had to sign anything, because he manipulated everything to work for him. Do not worry about your crumbling family. You know the people that have been in your life from 27 to 42 years, no biggie its all good. By the way, it makes it real hard to focus on your Cancer and you getting healthy when you treat us like rugs you can shake out and toss.

Emotion has been running high for three days, and I just want to go home. I want to sleep in my bed, pet my cats and dog and be NORMAL! I want to spend some quality time with my girls and husband who have all been great support the last few days. I even want to go grocery shopping and buy some bread and lunch supplies. I guess a few days away from home even at their worst is motivation for a mom. Eight hours of driving left to go and I have to say this is the first vacation (OK not really a vacation) that I am more excited about going home then I was about getting there.




No comments: