Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 83 The Perfect mom Project


Welcome to the next episode of "As My Family Turns". I would think this was all a huge fabricated lie, if I was not actually living through it. Let me see if I can bring you up to date.

Recently my Dad (Stepdad) was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung Cancer. Before he was diagnosed with the Cancer, he had moved his girlfriend into the house that he had shared with my Mom. Said girlfriend is younger then me. Said girlfriend and Dad have been shagging it since before my Mom died.

I had in recent weeks decided to release the anger I had for these events and move forward. I felt that it was in the best interest of my Dads health and well being to just focus on him. I could not go back and change what had already happened and by dwelling on it I would be stuck in an emotional place I did not want to be. I believe God wanted me to forgive him, and that is what I did.

With forgiveness in mind and heart, I decided my family and I would join my sisters and my Dad and the girlfriend for Thanksgiving. This Thanksgiving meal requires that Mark and I drive 1,100 miles across country, for two days of "family time". It also requires us to pay for a hotel for 3 nights. We did not make this decision lightly.

Three days ago I received a call from my Dad telling me that while my family was visiting he would like all of the sisters to meet with him to sign some papers that would essentially void the trust that was set up by him and my Mom many years ago. He would then sell his business to one sister and use the remaining income to live on and eventually, his plan is to leave his home, car, 401k, and life insurance to his girlfriend if and when he passes away. After listening to what he was telling me I asked for some time to think it over.

The following day, I called him back and asked him to please send me copies of what it was he wanted me to sign, so that I could look it over. He told me he would try, but that if he did send it I would not understand the papers anyway. He seemed fine with what I asked, but I could tell he was somewhat annoyed. As I write this I realize, that not understanding the papers, is exactly why I want the papers ahead of time. I do not care who you are, I am not signing anything until I UNDERSTAND IT!! That being said, we hung up and I went about my business.

I had a call from one of my sisters last night telling me that now my Dad is angry. He is angry and he is saying that I do not care that he is sick and that all I care about is the money. That is interesting, since I booked and payed for a hotel (nonrefundable I might add) and we are planning to travel 1,100 miles because we wanted to see him. He is the one that added this new dimension into the mix.

At this point, we are still planning to go down and visit my Dad. I am not sure what the next few days will bring, but I have to stand in what I know is the truth and that is that I intended to take my family to see my Dad who is dying. If he wants to turn this into a drama and tear the family apart before he dies, there is nothing that I can do about it. I do not understand what he is thinking, but I am not taking it on. I have given all of this to God and I know that with his help what is right and true will prevail.

2 comments:

Ann Dickie said...

Hey girl - sorry to hear you are dealing with all of this other 'junk' while dealing with your fathers illness and an impending trip! I will say a prayer that all works out according to God's will and may it coincide with your will! Love to you all, Ann

Ragen said...

Thanks Ann, God has my back!