Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 71 The Perfect Mom Project


It is November. A friend of mine mentioned this morning as we were walking that it is supposed to be a very bad winter. Her son had told her that he was reading the Farmers Almanac online and it was calling for a lot of cold and a lot of snow. Today as I put away our Halloween decorations, I will be pulling out our hats and gloves and putting them where they are easy for everyone to get to.


Every year I continue to be surprised when the seasons change. The hardest change is always Fall to Winter. I really do not mind Winter. My family will tell you that it is because I LOVE snow days. You know, the days when the weather is so terrible that they call off school. I always love sneaking into the girls rooms and turning off their alarms and whispering, "It's a snow day" in their ears. They get the faintest grin on their faces and then pull the blankets around themselves and drift back to sleep. I grab a cup of coffee and try to get a fire going downstairs so that I can snuggle there with a blanket and look at the snow quietly falling outside.

There is no use fantasising about snow right now. There is a good couple of months ahead before we get into the tightest grip of Old Man Winter. I hope that as the days progress from Fall into Winter we can enjoy each and every moment. We have a busy few weeks ahead, with school conferences, Parent Club meetings, Orthodontist appointments, visits with Great Aunt Nina and Aly's school play, and at the end of the month our trip to New Orleans for Thanksgiving with my Dad and Sisters. I hope that during this time I can find a way to stay calm and centered.

Time seems to go faster the older my girls get and I do not want to lose one minute of this precious time with them. As today blends into tomorrow and tomorrow into the next day, I hope that I will be able to focus on the most important thing of all. My family. As usual, I think it is what I need to do to become a Perfect Mom, but I also think it will help me get through the busy days ahead. I can only hope that somewhere along the line there is a surprise break where I can whisper to my kids to stay snuggled in their beds and I can soak up a little snuggle time too. If that means having some snow, I say "bring it!"

No comments: