Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 87 The Perfect Mom Project

We have made it to the middle of Hell week. Hell week is what they call the last week of rehearsals for the school play at the high school. When Aly arrived home last night and sat down to (late) dinner. We started talking about the events of her day. As she was sharing with us, we began to ask her questions about some of the things she was saying. This was a bad move! She became overwhelmed and began to cry, even sob. We all just stared at her.


Now, as a good mom (note:not perfect) I felt I should be helping her off her ledge a little bit, so I tried to say what I thought were comforting things. I said things like; "Aly, you cannot control other people , you can only control yourself" or "I understand your upset, but you need to stop snapping at everybody." OK, I admit, that last one might not have been comforting, but seriously, how much are we suppose to take? I know she loves doing the plays, but it takes a toll on all of us. I think we might adopt the name Hell week here at home too.

Tonight is the final practice and then they start preforming. Thursday is for the school and Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the public, then we are done, yee ha! I realize, I said we are done, that is how it feels. Not only is Aly in the play, but the whole family has a part too. We are her entourage, groupies and support staff. Without us, I am not sure how she would pull this off.

As we stared at our crying daughter last night, Mark made a joke, and she suddenly started laughing hysterically. OK, now we know that she has officially gone right over the edge. The upside is we can handle the laughing, it is the crying and crabby that we struggle with. Everyone tippy toeing around Aly until she is back to normal is not a fun way to live. This is absolutely something we will be working on. With Avery talking about doing the school plays next year too, we could have a double Hell week here. That just would not do at all! How could I ever maintain perfection during Hell week. Of course, I have to get there first.

No comments: