Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 88 The Perfect Mom Project


Gobble Gobble! Those are the words of the day today. We are going to have our own Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Since Aly has the play all weekend, and we are leaving for New Orleans next week, I decided that tonight we would have our own Thanksgiving dinner. I am excited about it. The thought of not being home and having our own traditions was really bothering me. There are so many things that we do during the holidays that are just part of our own family traditions.

We always have Thanksgiving at home, and then the next day,(Black Friday) I always go shopping with one of my dearest friends. Our husbands started meeting us for lunch a few years ago and it turned into another fun thing to look forward to. While I am out shopping, Mark and the girls set up our tree and get the lights on it. Mark also pulls out all the Christmas stuff so that we can decorate more the next day. This year we decided to decorate early. We actually have our tree up right now. The thought of coming home after the long drive from Louisiana and then starting the decorating process just did not sound like fun to me. I do not want to be panic stricken when I get back trying to get my house holiday ready.

All of this is in addition to the fact that my heart is racing with anxiety about the trip to see my Dad. All of the things that have been thrown at me in the last few days have made this less about the holiday and more about standing up for myself and my family. I know in my heart that I need to be strong for my Mom. She lost her voice a few years ago when she began to show signs of Alzheimer's disease. No matter what happens, I need to speak up for her. It makes me so sad that at a time when my Dad could use his family's support, he has put us in a position to question his choices. I am determined to make Thanksgiving a good day for him and my family, but the following day, I will have to step up to the plate and be about what is right and true.

In the mean time, I have a family that is going in many different directions and they all need me to focus on them. Truthfully they are what is most important. Making a special dinner and having that time with them tonight is going to wonderful. I am also looking forward to putting our ornaments on the tree tonight. So what if it is early, so what if it is not what we always do. This will make next year even more special. Perhaps it will even help us make new traditions. I have to say though that having Thanksgiving dinner the week before, might not be all that great next year. Something about having that day be just about us every year, has always been very special.

Well, I am off, I have many things to do to prepare for our yummy meal tonight and I still have to get a pumpkin pie. I just was not up to making one this year. I am going to assume that in this case, a perfect mom would do the same thing.

No comments: