Sunday, November 29, 2009

98 The Perfect Mom Project


Home at last!! After our long drive we are all happy to be home. It was great to sleep in our own beds and make a yummy pot of coffee this morning. This last few days was a whirlwind. All we want today is to relax and step back into the lives we have here at home. It is good to have had some rest. It is also good to wake up and not have a slice of dysfunction waiting on my plate.

Trying to guide my kids through this last few days was not easy. I had to talk to them about things that they really do not need to know, but were caught in the middle of. This family trip will not go down as an all time favorite for my children. They were happy to see and spend time with their cousins that live down in Louisiana, but there really was not a lot for them to do down there (with the limited time we had) and The Girlfriend showed absolutely no interest in the children.

Aly has asked to go spend the afternoon with girlfriends today. She says that she just wants to hang out with her girlfriends and feel normal. I understand that completely. Normal feels real good right now. Even as I struggle here to be a good Mom and raise my children to be good people, I think I am leaps and bounds ahead of my Dad's parenting skills. I like that (thanks to the events of the last few days) I actually feel like I am normal.

Avery and I are going to go see New Moon today. I think a movie about Vampires, love and violence will be quite relaxing if you compare it to the last few days of our lives. I think I might have met my own version of a vampire down in Louisiana. She is petite not especially attractive and instead of sucking blood, she is sucking money out of my Dad. I think I will enjoy the movie much more then real life.

Mark is sitting in the big easy chair drinking coffee with his feet up, which is a great place for a wonderful husband to be after supporting me through the last few days. No words can begin to show him the depth of my love and appreciation. He can sit there all day, and I will not say one word about it.

I do hope at some point this evening that we can all gather together and put our ornaments on our Christmas tree. It is time to start preparing for Christmas. None of us even feel like it is the holiday, but we are going to try to pull a rabbit out of a hat and be festive. I am not sure that I will be back on track for a few more days. I have a lot of information in my head that I am going to have to sort out. I am just so happy to be home to sort it all out. I am also happy to have my Mom's ashes here to care for and respect. She deserves it!

It is good to be home to rest and prepare for the week ahead. It is great to have this wonderful family around me. It is awesome to be able to say, I may not be perfect, but I like who I am. Now my job will be to convince my kids. Wish me luck!

No comments: