Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 302 The Perfect Mom Project


Avery and I made strawberry jam this morning. This was the first time I had assistance with this project, and I liked the help. It was also nice to share the time with Avery teaching her to make the jam. I am hopeful that someday she will continue to make jam for her own family. It has been four years since I last made jam. There have been two surgeries one was mine and the other Mark's, there was Ashleigh's wedding and then my Mom's passing. After each of these events, I felt drained and stayed away from what I considered a big project. After actually working on the jam with some help, I can see myself making more next year. It really was not that big of a project with four hands instead of just my two. It also got my mind going on other canning projects I can try later this summer.

 
Ashleigh and I have talked about making salsa and canning that in the fall, and I might even attempt canning some tomatoes. It just feels good to get back to doing some of the tasks I use to do. I need that feeling of accomplishment right now. It is as though I have been caught in the swirling water that goes down the drain. I have had to hang on lately so that I did not get washed away. Each day is another step towards being the mom I want to be and used to be. Making the jam this morning was like the famous lunar landing in 1969. I will steal Neil Armstrong's famous line and make it my own "One small step for Mom, one giant leap for motherhood".

No comments: