Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 285 the Perfect Mom Project

Happy Donut Day!

Today is National donut day. Another important point of interest is that this is my last day to drive the middle school carpool this year. No more jumping in the car and running to pick someone up and worrying that we are going to make someone else late. It is Friday which means we have one week left of school, three full days and two half days next week and then it is officially summer!

My girls are ready to be done with school. They have worked very hard this year and they need a break. The break will not last long, since they have both decided to test out of Spanish 1. This means that Aly and Avery have June, July and most of August to learn a year's worth of Spanish. Aly has also decided to take an advanced English class next year which means that she has three novels to read over the summer. Aly also is registered for her Segment Two drivers training, which will be three evenings at the end of June. It is going to be interesting to see how and when all of this gets done.

Avery has just told me that her tennis shoes that she took with her camping last weekend are still wet. As I sit here I can hear her pulling them out of a plastic bag she had them stored in. That means that her wet tennis shoes have been sitting in a plastic bag in her duffel bag since Monday. YUCK! I guess, if you want moldy shoes that is a really good way to store them. I kind of miss the days when the girls were little and I could unpack their bags for them, then I would know for sure that everything was washed and put away. Now I am crossing my fingers that Avery will grow out of this messy phase. If not now, at least by the time she has a home of her own. It is going to be a long summer with messy room girl!

I enjoy having Aly and Avery home during the summer, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling the excitement of the first day of school. There use to be an office supply advertisement on television each year in late August and early September, where the mom would be gliding through the store with one foot on the back of the shopping cart and with her other foot the mom was pushing herself around the store to the song "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" That is how I normally feel by the time summer ends.

Today, I think I will celebrate summer coming, with a donut. I might also raise my donut in a toast to my final day as carpool mom. Finally, I will soak up as much of my time alone as I can in the days I have left before the endless summer begins. So much to do and so little time, I hope that is not the theme of the summer we have ahead of us. I am looking forward to relaxing a little. Ah summer, I love the sound of that word…SUMMER. Off I go for my donut!

No comments: