Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 300 The Perfect Mom Project

Day 300, wow! Time flies when you are writing out your life. Everyday has been new and different, not one day was like the other. Even with one day being upsetting or sad, the next day always has the potential to be better. Life is good!

Today we will celebrate. When we bought our home 13 years ago, we were fortunate to move next door to some wonderful neighbors who have become some of our dearest friends. We have celebrated many milestones together, traveled together, worked out together and cried together. Our children have been friends as well. Today we will celebrate their youngest child Sarah's graduation from high school. Not only will time fly when you are writing out your life, it flies when you are living your life too.

I remember when the girls were little; Sarah, Aly and Avery decided to run away, Sarah was six, Aly was about four years old and Avery was about two. Being the in tune and attentive mom that I am I did not flinch when Aly came in and took yogurt and raisins and put them in a back pack. I thought how cute it was that they were having fun playing together. That was until Sarah's Dad knocked on my door and stood there holding Avery and Aly by the hand. He told me he had found our girls at the corner of our street and they had been running away. That was a great Mommy lesson, I started being more alert to any signs of a break out. You have to admit, it was a pretty gutsy move by those three and smart too, they were not going to go hungry for at least an hour.

A few years later, all three girls were playing down by the creek in our backyard and Aly fell in. Aly came up to the house screaming and covered in mud. When I pressed her about what had happened, she explained that they had all been practicing spitting and she fell in. I also remember the first time Sarah drove into our driveway to take Aly shopping. I knew the day would come, and when it did I was not ready. They were growing up, where did the time go?

Just a few short months ago Sarah had a terrible car accident and her car was totaled. When we arrived at the scene of the accident, it felt as though one of my own had been hit. Sarah's Mom, another good friend of ours and I took one look at her car and knew she was a lucky girl. Life has ebbed and flowed for the last thirteen years which includes the last 300 days, and it is not going to stop. There will be good days and bad, happy and sad yet we will keep moving through time. I look forward to celebrating Sarah today. While I am happy, it is bittersweet. I know that each milestone she passes, my girls are right behind her. It will not be that long until we are celebrating another runaway's graduation here. Today definitely has the potential for good, actually it looks more like there is potential today will be great. Congratulations Sarah!!

No comments: