Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 290 The Perfect Mom Project


"Thanks Mom, I had fun today." Your welcome Avery, I tried to give you your space with your friends, I hope I did OK?" "Mom, you were perfect, it was nice knowing you were around." Perfect… she told me I was PERFECT!. Our outing to the movie and the outdoor mall with Avery and four of her girlfriends yesterday was a success. I have to say it one more time…she told me I was perfect.

 I was not even shooting for perfect; I was just hoping to survive the day. I decided at the last minute I would go to the movie too. I mentioned it to Avery and explained that I did not want to wonder around the mall alone for four hours, and she was fine with it. I let the girls go in first and get their tickets and then I got mine and sat in the back corner of the theater, so they would have their space. After the movie I set a time with the girls to meet up to head home. Every so often, I would come across them as I shopped. "Hi Miss Ragen", the girls would wave and laugh and I would laugh and wave back, all the while hoping that I was not annoying or embarrassing Avery. The embarrassment scale is very sensitive during the teen years, and one false move by a well intentioned parent can ruin your teen's social status. I was trying to be myself, and at the same time guard Avery's social integrity, not an easy task to pull off I must say! More so because I have a quirky sense of humor and while I am sure my family loves and appreciates it, I know my quirky sense of humor has a high embarrassment factor.

 
I started the day yesterday wondering what ever possessed me to offer to take the girls and ended the day glad I did. It was a leap of faith, and I am glad I leaped! How else would I have heard the three words that I have spent the last 290 days chasing? "Mom, you were perfect." I just had to write that one more time, who knows when or if I will ever hear those words again.

No comments: