Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 66 The Perfect Mom Project


YAWN...I'm tired. It is a good tired though, I stayed up until midnight visiting with my oldest daughter Ashleigh last night. She came home to visit and she spent the night. My middle daughter Aly had a vocal concert and she was singing a solo. Ashleigh thought it would be fun to see her singing. It was great to have all my little chicks back in the nest together.


A couple of days ago, Aly came to me and said, "Alyssa and Lauren and I are going to stay after school tomorrow and do homework, then we are going to walk down to Younger's (local pub and restaurant) after school and get their dollar burgers. Then I will walk back up to the school and get ready for the vocal concert." That way you do not have to pick me up!" I just looked at her. When did we go from, Mom can I to Mom I'm going to? I thought about saying something to her about that, and then I decided to just keep quiet. I was proud of her for making plans without me prodding her and I did not want to start anything. Honestly, isn't the whole idea of parenting to get your kids ready to fly the nest?


Aly and I have our moments, she and I are very much a like. This can be good and bad, since along with having my fabulous personality, she also has my hot head that suddenly and for no real reason,(sometimes), pops off! I feel I have made leaps and bounds in this area, but this is something I am not willing to take a survey of family members on. However, Aly still needs some work. I am probably not the best person to point it out to her, because it generally starts a parent/child WWF.


Aly has the greatest laugh and smile, she is also a loving, caring and sensitive person. This makes up for the head popping off thing that,(blush) she comes by naturally. I have to say, that at this point in our journey together, some of the good stuff in both of us gets lost. With Aly working her way towards adulthood (and learning to drive, which we have discussed before) and me doing my best to steer her there without incident it can be a very slippery slope at times. All I can hope for is that when she reaches adulthood that she will want to come back home and hang out with her Mom, like Ashleigh did last night. That to me will be the ultimate compliment to our parenting.


I have included a photo today of Aly and I together during our color tour last Sunday. This was a special day with her, Mark and I, and I honestly was thrilled that she was interested in going with us. Maybe this is just a sign of the future. Maybe I'm not so bad after all. With that as inspiration, I will keep plugging away at this parenting thing. I hope it was not just a one time deal. Like Mark has said, "Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while". Thanks Mark, I can always count on you to perk me up.


No comments: