Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 51 The Perfect Mom Project

I think I may have taken a back slide in my Perfect Mom foothold. It all started when the phone rang about 2:30 PM yesterday afternoon, Aly was on the other end of the line, "Hi Mom, can you pick me up later, I have play practice today." It sounds so innocent doesn't it?

The rest of the story is that I had asked Aly for several days when play practice would be starting and I also had asked her to get me the play packet since I could not go to the parent meeting. So, when the phone rang, it is fair to say that I was not pleased. The thing is, Aly did not seem the slightest bit apologetic, she called like she would to share any information of no importance. I told her I would pick her up at 4:00 PM and then I hung up. Now, I had an hour and a half to stew about the call.

Here is the thing. I joke about being a taxi service, but I had the feeling that my daughter actually thought I could run and get her on a whim. Just pick up the phone and Mommy will come running. I have nothing better to do then to wait around until my children call for me. Ah, not going to happen!

Once at the school I waited calmly until the unsuspecting child got into the car and then I let her have it! "Aly, I am not a taxi service, you can not just call and have me pick you up for something that I asked for information about a week ago." " I am not on stand by." Apparently, she had not expected that I would be upset. She seemed shocked and told me how busy her school day was and how she could not get the information that I had asked for. I explained to her that If she had to go early or stay late to get the information it is better then waiting until the last minute and expecting me to make it all work for her.

How do I get my children to understand that I was not put on earth to make sure that their life runs smoothly. It is not my job to make sure they have their homework, lunch or gym shoes (sorry, that's an old one, but it still bugs me!). How will they ever learn to live in this world if they do not take responsibility now for getting information they need to get through their day? If my kids think that they can snap their fingers and Mommy will come running, then we have some work to do at the hacienda!

I know that in perspective this is a simple thing and not a big deal, but if I do not insist on her taking responsibility right now for the things that she wants or needs, we are going to have a real mess on our hands down the road. There is still some conversation ahead about this, because I feel this showed a real lack of respect. I do not want to raise my daughter with the expectation that she is the center of the universe and the rest of us are her minions here to do her bidding. If that was how it worked, I would be working that angle myself! I have been here a lot longer and have been through a lot more! Anyway, as you can see it is still a tender wound and I am in the process of healing it. I will just have to work my way back up the parenting rope today. I am poised and ready for picking up Aly at the set time and hopefully she will appreciate my efforts. That's all I can hope for.

No comments: