Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 57 The Perfect Mom Project

Yesterday, as I was looking through a store advertisement, I noticed that planted between the Halloween costumes and Halloween candy ads in the front and the household items in the back, there was a whole section advertising toys. Toys in the ad can only mean one thing...Christmas is coming.

Ironically, as I walked with my girlfriends this morning the topic turned to Christmas. We talked about how it would be here in no time. We talked a little about who we might shop for and what we might shop for. I just cannot help but think the whole thing is crazy! Can we please get through Halloween, before you start with Christmas! I am not ready for the stress and anxiety that Christmas tends to bring. Things like, where to go and who to see. What to get my kids for Christmas and what to get for Mark.

I also cannot forget the all important issue of money. We have already planned a nice family trip for next spring and we are sinking a good amount of cash into that, so I think Mark and I are all set, but you cannot tell your kids that. They will not get it. Several years ago we took the kids to Florida for Christmas. We took them to Disney a couple of the days (one of the days included a tornado, that was fun). The only gifts that they got that year were small and they seemed fine with that, but this is a little different. Spring is a long way off and I still want to get them a few things for Christmas. I am just not sure if my bank account will agree to it. My oldest Ashleigh and her husband Scott are not going on this trip, so I do have to think about them and then there are various other family members we need to think of.
STOP!!
Can you see what happens, I start talking about how I cannot believe that there are already ads with toys and people are talking about Christmas, and the next thing you know...I am off on a tangent! The point is, that time goes fast enough, I do not want to push it along even faster. This is not going to be easy though. I am pretty sure that the media and the whole retail system are against me. I am going to have to keep my whits about me. Being a mom with a mission for the next few weeks. I will try to do my part to not get caught up in the holiday frenzy yet. It will not be easy, because any good mom knows that right after Halloween, after the kids have filled up on sugar, they start making their Christmas lists. Perhaps if I do not mention it, they will forget all about Christmas. Wish me luck with that!

No comments: