Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 53 The Perfect Mom Project




Yesterday afternoon, I took Avery to the Salvation Army store to look for a skirt for her Halloween costume. Avery has decided she wants to be Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. It sounds simple enough doesn't it? However, Avery wants every detail exact. I have said more than once that it is a Halloween costume and it does not have to be perfect, but Avery looks at me like I just don't get it. I really hate that look! You know the one, your child makes this face that is a cross between disgust and annoyance.

Avery has been talking about Halloween since last spring. Even this summer she mentioned Halloween several times. I think for someone that loves sugar as much as she does, Halloween is practically a religious experience. She starts planning her costume for the next Halloween the day after Halloween!

I remember about 4 years ago, I convinced Avery she should be a box of popcorn. It was so cute, we took a box and I painted it with red and white stripes and put the word POPCORN on it with stencils. I then added some straps to hold it up. To top it off I glued popcorn to a hat for her to wear. Oh my gosh, she looked so cute! The only problem was that she could not sit down, and then when it came time to trick or treat, she could not run with the other kids and she kept getting left behind. For someone that lives for Halloween and trick or treating, this was devastating!

I think it is the popcorn box year that she decided to fire me from her costume department. More recently the things that she has come up with, I just have to shake my head. Last year Avery was a baby for Halloween. We bought her an inexpensive pair of footie PJ's, (by the way, where are those?) and then went to the dollar store for a bib and pacifier. She pays very close attention to detail, nothing is left out. It is actually very annoying, but I would rather her be happy with this and have fun, then put on a sweatshirt that says Sweet tart and go out with no enthusiasm.

I remember telling Ashleigh in 8th grade that she was too old to trick or treat and I made her stay home and pass out candy. Now, here is my youngest in 8th grade, getting a ride, here and there and getting financial backing for her Halloween costume. What has happened to me? I think that by the time your last child gets old enough, all the fight is out of you. You start saying yes to everything. I am going to have to be careful though, there are somethings I cannot give in to. I am not sure what they are right now, but when I think of it, I am going to put my foot down! For now, I am having fun watching her pull this all together, so I am not going to be to hard on myself. Hey, even perfect people change their mind once in a while, so I guess I can too. My other children will just have to get over it. Perhaps they will write a book about how The Perfect Mom failed her children, by giving into the youngest child. Please, that is old news, I think that story is hundreds of years old.

No comments: