Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 59 The Perfect Mom Project

Well, I have decided that when kids take drivers training, that they should have a class at the same time for parents. I am in conflict every time I drive with my driver in training. If we are riding along, and something is done that I think, DANGER, DANGER! My driver in training tells me that they told her she could do that in drivers training class. Apparently some things have changed in the 30 years since I got my licence.

Yesterday, as Aly drove me through our town, we came upon a stop sign. Rather then stopping right at the sign like I have always done she went through the sign and stopped right at the crosswalk several feet forward. When I mentioned to her ( I honestly did this with the utmost calm) that you should stop at the stop sign, she told me that that is not what they taught her in drivers training. Well, this would be a good time for a parent refresher course, because I think if I did that same move, I would get a ticket. If I had my trusty completion form from the, Drivers Training Parent Refresher course, I would be all set to explain to the officer when he pulled me over that he is incorrect and he needs to go back for more drivers training.

I am sure that you know that after that things went down hill. Aly was upset and immediately wanted to pull over and trade drivers. I explained to her that we were not going to do our own version of a Chinese fire drill and that she could make it home. That is pretty much the last time we spoke, other then my telling her if she was going to be that crabby she could go to bed.

This is why I believe that if I had a class of my own, I would be more prepared to ride along with my driver in training. Even if it was a class where we could watch through two way glass as our kids are learning. This could be a whole new dynamic in drivers training. Maybe they could offer classes like, "How to stay calm when you think you are going to die" , or Positive reinforcement without swearing". These are just a couple of suggestions, but you get the idea.

All I can do is start over again today. I am not one to give up easily, I will keep at it until Aly has her licence, or I am so scared I cannot get back in the car. I do think that she gets very nervous with me in the car, she would prefer to ride with Mark, but quite honestly if she only rides with Mark there is a good chance she will be a senior in high school before she gets her licence. She has a lot more opportunity to get her drive time in with me. So, today is a new day, and I am going to give it another go with Aly. After all, I am still making my way towards perfect motherhood and if I cannot help my daughter to learn to drive, I may not make it to perfection. I will just have to keep a postive attitude. I will work on keeping a stupid grin on my face today. Perhaps it will help hide when I am scared.

No comments: