Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 185 The Perfect Mom Project


Avery toured the high school yesterday; her tour guide was her sister Aly. Aly was asked to be a guide along with a few other kids in her choral class. It was fun for both of the girls as they sat and talked at dinner about everything that happened during the tour. Aly was telling her version of how the tour went and Avery was telling hers. It is hard to imagine that Avery will be at the high school next year. Where has all the time gone? It really does seem like time is flying.

 Aly has started to get letters from colleges, and she is busy thinking about what she wants to be after college and where she wants to go to college. High school graduation is two years off and we are already sorting all of this out. I feel like it is too soon. I do not want her to rush ahead and miss out on the here and now. I appreciate her excitement, she is curious where this next fork in the road will take her, but could we be rushing things just a little?

 Two children in different places in their lives; yet faced with the same question. What's next? We are already talking with both girls about their schedules for next year and helping them choose classes. At the same time they are talking about what they want to be and how they want to get there. I wish I could help them see the gift they have. I never have answered that question for myself. I was never encouraged or supported in preparing for a goal or even choosing a life course. I just sort of fell into step on my path and away I went. It is possible that because of this I am more aware of my girls following a path and choosing a course.

 Ashleigh headed off to college and changed her major three times before finding a major that spoke to her and now she is not even working in that field. At the time it all seems so important yet life has a funny way of putting you on the path God wants you on and sometimes that path is nothing near where you started out. I have no regrets about my path, but I am curious if I would be traveling on a different path if I had had parents invested in my future. That is something I will never know. What I do know is that Mark and I are completely invested in all of our girls. Their dreams have as much value to us as they do to them. Sometimes we do try to tweak their dreams a little though. OK, by "we", I really mean me. As you will remember I do like to throw out the (what if) questions here and there. Over all though helping the girls achieve their goals and live happy lives is what we are working towards.

 I guess over all as long as their paths bring our girls home now and then we will be happy. We are fortunate to have three go getters that do not lay back and wait for life to come to them, they go out and make life happen. Perhaps some of that is our example, but most likely, it is God's gift to them and I hope they all use it wisely. Nothing is sweeter then skipping down a path laid before you by God. I know this, because all though I did not have my Mom as a guide, God has given me a wonderful path to follow; the path of motherhood and I am enjoying every minute of my walk.

No comments: