Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 181 The Perfect Mom Project


This morning I am gazing at the blazing sun rising in the east. Mark and I are on our way home from taking Aly and two of her friends to another Forensics meet. We left home at 6:15 AM and dropped the kids off at about 7:15 AM. The parents of one of the kids we brought with us will pick them up tonight. I asked Aly yesterday if she wanted us to stay and she said no. She really does not think it necessary for us to be there. Watching her walk into the building today Mark said he was glad she had the confidence to walk into situations like that, and I have to agree.

 Aly has had that confidence since she was a very little girl. I remember talking about going to a family camp one year when she was in kindergarten. I thought if we went to the camp as a family that perhaps later on she would want to go to camp on her own. As we sat at our dining room table talking about it Aly spoke up and said "I'll go to camp!" Surprised, I said "Do you want to go this year? You would be on your own, Mom and Dad would not be there." Aly replied, "I know."The rest is history we signed our little girl up for a three day sleep away camp between her kindergarten and first grade year.

 I also watched Aly step in front of a room full of people and sing for the very first time when she was in third grade. She did not look the slightest bit nervous. I know she was, because we talked about it before hand, but once she stepped up to sing, you saw nothing but confidence on her little face. We were awe struck by her gift of confidence. There are times at home that she will share with us her fear and worry about an upcoming event, but once she steps into the moment you never see her sweat.

 I do not know where our little girl gained this confidence, but I am delighted for her. This is a gift that will carry her for the rest of her life. I know that with this confidence she will be able to face any challenge. What a wonderful thing as a mom to know that your child already has the wings to fly! Now if I can just get her behind the wheel of the car so that she can get her driver's license, I will be a very happy woman. I suppose at some point she will be tired of me taking her everywhere, and she will have the "confidence" to get her license and drive. Once again I should be careful what I wish for, once she starts driving I suspect she will be going all the time. My little girl is growing up.

No comments: