Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 331 The Perfect Mom Project

There was one exciting moment after another yesterday, I am beat! There was the surprise gift that Aly opened when she woke up, and the host of surprises she opened before dinner, with the most exciting moment being when she read this poem:

Pack your bag and get ready to go

The destination is not yours to know

Tonight @ 8 we hit the road

Some shopping will happen

And water sports too!

A surprise guest will join us to add more fun for you!

So here we are at the "secret" location…Ashleigh's house. It was fun surprising Aly, and making her feel special. Even as we drove here she was not quite sure until the last few minutes where we were going. Once here her and her friend Megan relaxed and chatted and finally headed to bed around midnight. Today we will all shop and have lunch and just enjoy ourselves, basically a dream day for a 16 year old girl and her mom. This habit I have of trying to make birthdays special can be a little over whelming sometimes and I know that I can overdo it from time to time, but it is worth every minute of stress when your daughter smiles at you with a giant smile and tells you how happy she is.

Tomorrow as we head back home we will head back to reality. There will be the reality of Spanish lessons and reading for her AP English class next year and all of the other cares and concerns of my now 16 year old, but for today Aly is in an alternate universe with the world poised and ready to make the day special. As a mom, I am happy to give her this day, even though I know it will not be long before she is angry with me for something and reality will sling shot back and hit me square in the face. I still will say it was worth it.

No comments: