Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 322 The Perfect Mom Project


As I sit in my sanctuary this morning, I can look out and just past the tree and before our fire pit there sits a small tent with my two daughters sleeping. Last night Mark and I built a fire and as we sat there our daughters came home from the places they had been and began to laugh and talk with us. It was a good feeling to be together as a family, enjoying the stars, the fire, some conversation and s'mores. S'more are the delicious treat that involves roasting a marshmallow, (I prefer two) and putting the roasted marshmallow in between two graham crackers with a piece of chocolate candy bar tucked inside. YUM! As we talked I suggested that since is what such a nice night, they get out the tent and sleep outside and after some conversation they decided that they would.

 
Here we all were with nothing but the light of the fire and a few attempts at light from cell phones setting up the tent. Once the tent was up the girls ran and stocked up on snacks and sleeping bags and climbed inside. As Mark and I continued to sit by the fire I could hear bits and pieces of conversation including when Avery asked Aly "Were you scared when you went up to the high school?" As I listened to them talk I knew that all of the sibling fights in the world would never hurt the love and friendship of these two sisters who are two very different, but wonderful loving people. On this beautiful and warm summer morning, my two youngest children sleep just steps away from me and I feel happy knowing that in time my three girls will be adults that love and respect each other for their differences as well as their likeness. All in all, it was a good night for a mom working as hard and as fast as she can to get this whole mom thing down. With just 43 days left in this project, I am starting to feel some pressure. It is possible though that some of the best parenting happens when you are not even trying. Now, that is definitely something to think about!

No comments: