Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 315 The Perfect Mom Project

Happy 4th of July!!

Oh say can you see by the dawns early light that the summer is moving along and we are trying to hold tight! We are enjoying a slow morning here at Ashleigh's before we pack up and head home. We celebrated the holiday by watching fireworks and playing with sparklers. At one point Avery was alarmed by the large sparklers that Ashleigh had purchased. When Avery was about three I had purchased these same large sparklers and she accidentally touched it while it was hot. She has been fearful of sparklers ever since. As I handed her one of these sparklers last night, she started to panic. "What do I do with it? I am afraid!" My sympathetic response was "Avery it's a sparkler, not a bomb!"

There are times as a Mom that I just do not have the sympathy or patience gift. I have the gift of telling my kids to "just get over it!" Maybe this is normal for a mom to want her kids to move on or let it go, but I am always on the defense because I wonder if I am doing this right. I will never know for sure, but I do know that the one child that I have completed has turned out wonderfully, so all I can hope for is the same success with the other two. In the big picture, you just work with what you've got, perfect or not. That's life and that is parenting, so I guess I should just take my own advice and move on!

No comments: