Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Plunge

If you are looking for me today you will find me somewhere with my hair on fire. I have had trucks backing in and out of my driveway and people calling and for a good hour my bowl of cereal sat on my counter untouched. I pretty much ate mush for breakfast today. Honestly, I had told Mark the other day that this is how it would be and then we laughed thinking that's crazy of course everything will go just as we planned.

It all began a few weeks ago when we started getting quotes to have our dilapidated roof done and our driveway replaced. We had received a small amount of money from my Mom's estate and decided to use it to get some things done to our home that we had put off. We got roof quotes and siding quotes and driveway quotes, everyone was here quoting. We finally made our decisions and started the ball rolling knowing we were on their list and hoping that it would all run smoothly. Then I got the idea that we should replace the pool we had removed from our backyard last year.

The pool we had was a small pool that some friends had given us. We had it for five years and the kids loved it but it had gotten old and worn out and it was really too small for the kids to invite their teenage friends to, so we took it out (actually Mark did the work, but it was my idea). As the summer has gone on I realized our family needed a pool. The girls had nothing to do when friends came over except hang out in my basement on the computer or TV or Wii and I was tired of it, so I made an executive decision to put the fun back in our yard.

So today the pool guy comes to put in the pool and the roof guy calls and has the shingles delivered on my roof and I am running in a million directions and answering the phone before I get a single bite of my cereal. All good things, but I had really hoped to spread all of this work out. I am just waiting for my phone to ring today and the driveway guy to be on the other end letting me know he will be here any minute.

I guess my point is that no matter what you plan or no matter what you expect there is always going to be someone or something that has different plans or expectations and you just have to be willing to take the plunge and roll with it. Speaking of plunging, I hope we will be able to toss a couple of kids in the water later today. Of course that could change too.

No comments: