Thursday, July 28, 2011

Drama Queen


It happened out of nowhere last night, I was enjoying dinner with my NLMS (Newsletter Mom's) friends, laughing and talking away like I was all that and it hit me. My brain said "Shut your pie hole!" I was once again sharing stories of the recent estate dramas and I realized that I am always griping, explaining and dramatizing my life. It has been one thing after another and at some point people just do not care. I mean really how often can you blabber on about yourself and your latest family issue before people are sick of hearing about it?

 
While on the one hand I profess to wanting some boredom in my life, I think there is a piece of me that is a drama queen and likes that I have not one but two estate issues, a senior in high school in the fall, three highly dramatic daughters, a wonderful husband who sometimes pushes me right to the edge and various characters that pop in out of the dramatic bushes all of the time. Last night I just sat at the dinner table thinking, "Maybe I should stop talking for a while?" I was actually embarrassed by the amount of times I have had some drama to share.

 
I have said before that I feel like life is dragging me along. For whatever reason right now, my life is booked. I cannot even get a part-time job to fulfill myself, because I am too busy with the two estates, the soon to be senior in high school, the three dramatic daughters, the husband and the random issue of the day or week. For example, today I have a pile of shingles on my roof and a dumpster blocking my garage. Normally this would be great news, that I was finally getting my roof replaced, but instead I am watching it rain for the first time in maybe two months. It is not a pretty summer rain either; it is the Noah get your ark ready kind of rain. This means to me that my roof will have to wait until tomorrow which would be great except I am suppose to have Aly's God parents over for dinner to celebrate her birthday and I really do not want the roof mess in the way or the pounding of the hammers overhead.

 
So, out of nowhere last night I learned a lesson. I learned that I am not the only one with stuff going on and while my stories are entertaining to me, not everyone cares. I need to stop feeling like everyone needs to know what is happening. All of us have stuff, good stuff and bad stuff. Some of us are great about keeping things to our self and sharing on occasion and others of us have giant pie holes that they need to keep shut and make the time to hear what others have to share. I am not retiring from being a Drama Momma, that would be tough, but I am more aware and in time hopefully a much better friend with a zipped lip and a satisfied smile.

No comments: