Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Panty Raid

I give up! I put on my big girl panties, I have untwisted them and still my work is not done. I lulled myself into a feeling of calm and contentment and began cleaning my house yesterday morning when I received the call from my Aunt's assisted living community. They just wanted to let me know that she once again was refusing to get out of bed and that they had called EMS. They had spoken with her doctor and he had decided that she should receive some testing, because something must be wrong since everything he has done has not worked. My response was "OK", but in my head I was thinking "OH CRAP".

I hung up the phone jumped in the shower and was preparing to race over to the hospital when Mark called to tell me that Anna (Our aide/companion for my Aunt) had called him since I must have been in the shower and told him that my Aunt was refusing to go and the EMS would not take her without her consent. AGH! At this point, I switched gears and prepared to go back to see my Aunt and try to get her to go to the hospital. Surprise, surprise she would not go for me either. In the midst of this I was calling our attorney and calling the doctor and trying to keep my head from popping off.

Here is the thing, I have to have her doctor write a letter expressing that she is incapacitated physically and mentally and unable to make appropriate decisions for herself. With this letter I can then act on her behalf and make sure she gets the care she needs whether she likes it or not. I missed his call back to me (because I was negotiating with my Aunt at the time) but essentially he message was "I can do that (the letter), but we should discuss if it is really necessary". When I heard this my jaw dropped and I thought really bad words! Can this guy be serious? Our attorney told me last night that if I have any problems with the doctor he will talk to him, so at least I have one person who seems to get the seriousness of what we are dealing with.

I have gone from a deep breathing centered place to a stomping around crazed lunatic place. On top of that we are in the throes of issues with my Mom's estate and my sister and I are conferencing by phone together and with the estate attorney. Attorneys all across America will eat well this week! I am seriously feeling like my big girl panties have turned into a head vice. My skull feels like it is going to implode from the pressure.

OK, deep breath in…hold it, hold it…release. Once more…OK, good. Now, today I will call to check on my Aunt, I will talk to her nurse, hopefully her doctor and with any luck I will get this situation under control. I am not visiting Auntie today. I spoke with Anna last night and we agree we need to let the community where she lives and Anna, deal with her for a couple of days. She is not going to change whether I sit there watching her fake sleep or not. My only hope is that I get a little help from the doctor today, I really have nothing left to do with these panties except whip them off and go commando!

No comments: