Monday, April 11, 2011

Back to Crazy

As the thunderstorm passed through early this morning, I thought to myself that I would drive my girls the 200 feet to the bus stop so that they would not be drenched from the pouring rain. You see this morning was our first day back to our "normal" schedule after our school districts spring break. I thought it would be a nice thing to do and it would involve less time than driving Aly and Avery all the way to school. So I climbed into the car wearing my workout shorts and flip flops and grabbed the puppy princess Roxanne for the quick drive to the corner. Aly was right behind me feeling like missing the bus was a huge possibility, I of course the voice of reason assured her there was plenty of time. As Aly and I sat waiting in the idling car in the garage, Avery finished brushing her teeth and pulling her stuff together, we saw the bus whip by our house as if it was snubbing us. That's when I knew we were back to crazy.

You see, there is no normal here. I hope to myself all the time that normal is right around the corner for us and like the bus; normal snubs us and whips right by! I honestly believe that we are so use to doing everything at a screaming pace. When I use the word screaming I mean that literally and figuratively. Most days there is screaming, things like "Hurry up!" or "Do you have your lunch" or "I know you have my sweater, where is it? This is all followed by running, running to the door, to the bus, or to the car. And so, crazy is back and running here once again.

I had myself convinced that after Spring break things here would function at a slower pace. I had a sense of calm planted in my mind, a serene centered place where we would all sit in the Yoga lotus position and breathe deeply, slowly standing and quietly exiting to the various locations we belonged for the day. All of us relaxed and centered, calm and prepared. As I ran passed Avery to put on pants and grab my purse this morning I calmly told her that perhaps a more quickly paced morning regime was in order, I than ran back to the car and drove my girls to school. As we drove, we sang along to the radio and harmonized with each other and that's when it hit me. This is our normal. The hurry up and the last minute sprint all culminate into what makes our family tick. We are a crazy mix of organized kayos; that sometimes works and sometimes does not, but in the end brings us back to crazy, our crazy. Ah…it is good to have everyone back!

No comments: