Friday, April 1, 2011

Did You Really Just Say That?

A couple of nights ago Mark, Aly and I all went to the final meeting for her mission trip. Aly leaves this evening with several van loads of high school students and leaders for 8 days of community service. The meeting was to finalize the information transfer back and forth and it was also time for each teen to meet the people that are part of their group. This group will ride together and work together the entire week, and it is a great opportunity for Aly to make some new friends.

There are several things our church has requested from each student. First, no cell phones, they want the kids to be focused and part of the group. The concern is that many of the students might be uncomfortable and instead of participating and learning about the people they are with, they will revert to calling and texting family and friends and use the phone as avoidance. The other item the kids cannot bring is their IPod, same reason as the phone. Another item on the list was a request that girls wear one piece suits as a means of modesty, as well as wearing finger tip length shorts and no tank tops.

Our family felt that these were reasonable requests. We were not uncomfortable with the idea of no phones, and actually welcomed the chance for Aly to unplug a little. As for the dress code, we respect our churches position on this being a mission focused trip and not a Girls Gone Wild getaway. We knew what Aly was signing up for and we felt good about the direction the church was taking.

Back to the meeting…as we arrived we looked around and migrated towards a table on the far side of the room. We sat down and nodded at the woman already seated there and then the three of us, Mark, Aly and I went into our own little world thinking about everything we had left to get done this week. Honestly, Aly was texting away ignoring all of us. That is when our table mate spoke up. "You know my oldest daughter took this trip and loved it." Really, that is wonderful, my daughter is looking forward to it" I replied trying to be friendly. That's when she said it, "I let my daughter take her phone, I just told her to keep it hidden" I looked at Aly and replied to our table mate, "It will do my daughter good to take a break from her phone". As if I was not already stressed enough about our new friend's comments upsetting things for us, she felt she needed to add "I also let her wear a two piece swimsuit; she just wore a t-shirt over it". If this woman had known how long we shopped and how much convincing I had to do that the one piece suit was lovely, she hopefully would have kept her trap shut! Now I was aggravated and not feeling very Christian like at all. I wanted to glare at her and say "Did you really just say that?"

Here is where I stand on this; our church has done hundreds of mission trips. They work hard to insure the safety and well being of all that go on these trips. They also want them to be a centering and God filled experience. They have not asked for anything from these kids that they cannot handle and most probably many of them need the break that my daughter does. Finally, a rule is a rule! If you do not like the rules, then do not go on the trip and don't send your children. Finally, if you still want to send your children and encourage them to break the rules, please keep it to yourself. You do not need to brag about it and encourage others to break the rules so that you feel better! I am still shaking my head at this one. This same Mom may be wondering someday why her daughter never follows her rules at home. I on the other hand have a pretty good idea!

No comments: